Tuesday, August 30, 2011

2 Single Story 2011

                                "Danger Of a Single Story"


What does it mean to have a "single story" about a place or community ?


To have a single story about a place or community is like describing something or somebody without knowing all the information about them. It's like somebody hears a story about a certain place and it's a negative thing, you go ahead and follow it and think in your mind that that's the way that person or place is. The reality is that it's not true, when somebody does that they are judging without even knowing the truth.


Describe a single story you have heard told about your community. What is missing from that story ? How could people learn more about that community ?


I have heard people talk about my community, they say that we are just some lazy mexicans that come to the U.S. just to get free-medicaid and Health service etc.. I say that is NOT true. We may be from mexico but that doesn't matter we came here to succeed and have a better life. I think that others shouldn't by the way we look,speak,live. They should come check out our community and see what we really are. We need to show them not to judge us by what they've heard or think about us.


Describe a single story about another community. How did you learn that story ? How could you learn more about that community ?


When I was a little bit younger I use to think that African-American people or Black People were mean,lazy, didn't get  jobs, and did drugs. As I grew up I started to realize that what I tought about african-american\black people wasn't true. Then I lived in a community with african-american\black people and really saw how they were. I kind of felt ashmed and guilty of judging somebody without knowing them or seeing them.


How could a game let players experience many stories about a place or community ?


The game would show facts about a place or community. It will tell them many things not just a single one. If it was just one story then it wouldn't be fair because you only get to hear one where you don't know if it's true or false. I think it's better to let the player know many different facts and stories.









No comments:

Post a Comment